Perhaps the most representative example of Liberty style architecture in Lucca, this considerably sized building has a rectangular base and is constructed on two floors as well as the attic and the basement. It is partly covered with flat roofing and partly by a hip roof with a layer of Marseillais tiles
On the main façade, which looks onto via Civitali, the building exhibits a hexagonal bow-window on the ground floor which is covered by a terrace which two lateral doors and five windows, decorated with wrought iron floral motifs open onto.
Access is gained to the first floor terrace by way of a French door decorated with sunflower floral motifs which are inserted in a circular pattern. The parapet of the terrace has a characteristic
coup de fouet
design which is repeated throughout all the decorative parts of the villa which are in wrought iron. Two windows, decorated on the upper part with polychrome majolica which forms rhomboid motifs, also face onto the terrace. The same decoration is repeated on the fascia below the eaves. In alignment with the French door the villa exhibits a higher turret shaped part which is covered with a non-practicable terrace.
The garden is characterised by various architectonic features: a basin with central sculptures which represents a shell with two small cupids and a little temple covered with a cupola which is held up by small columns, all of which are connected to the house by way of an elliptic ramp covered with a wrought iron pergola.
The building is a private property and cannot be visited inside.
Historical critical news
The villa is the masterpiece in Lucca of Gaetano Orzali, who projected also the Villino Malerbi today Dinelli. It was designed in 1903 for Luigi Ducloz.
In 1911, when Dianda was the owner of the villa, the polychrome majolica crowning, which was only originally present on the main front, was also extended to the side facades.
(source: Lorenza Caprotti - Centro Studi Cultura Liberty e Déco