Villa Orsi
The main building of Villa Orsi sits on land with a deep slope and is developed over three floors plus one for the attics. The lines of the construction are very sober. The ground floor is decorated with an imitation on grey plastercast, while the window-sills, surmounted by cornices of the same colour, are highlighted by a cornice which runs along all the façades.
On the main façade facing downhill, there are two small entrance doors which correspond to a balcony supported by corbels with a wrough iron railing on the floor above. At the back there is a footbridge which leads from the rooms on the last floor to an open space which is on a higher terrace of the garden. There are buildings for agricultural use attatched to the main edifice. The lemon house would be one example. It has arches on the ground floor and openings with architraves on the one above. The garden of the villa is noteworthy for the presence of examples of the ancient camellia. There are two in the grounds of the main building and others arranged in such a way as to form a big hedge in the low part of the garden.


località Pieve di compito

Historical critical news

Villa Orsi in Pieve di Compito is a testimony to the survival of a type of villa still linked to agricultural production in the 1800's.
In the 1800's the area around Compito became a very important centre for the cultivation of camellias and a local variety was selected. It was called the "Stella di Compito". During the March weekends, (the only time open to the public), the villa is host to the flower show, "Mostra delle antiche camelie", an wonderful opportunity to enjoy the blooming of these plants in a particularly noteworthy context .


  • Archivio Soprintendenza B.A.A.A.S. delle province di Pisa, Lucca, Massa Carrara, Livorno (schedatori: Bedini, Raffanti)


District: Piana di Lucca
Building dating: 19th century
Garden dating: 19th century
District/Location: The villa's gardens can be visited during the flower show "Mostra delle Antiche Camelie della Lucchesia" which takes place during the weekends in March. In other periods can be visited by appointment.
Telephone: Inge Orsi : 0583 55505 - 0583 977001