In 1898, Giacomo Puccini bought a tower house, which he had rented in 1891, on the banks of the lake. Puccini collaborated with Luigi De Servi, Plinio Nomellini and Giuseppe Puccinelli in the defining stages of the construction project which included the demolition of the tower house. Only the foundation of this structure was to remain. The villa became Puccini's residence until 1921, the year in which he transferrd to Viareggio. Many of his most famous operas were composed in the study in Torre del Lago:
Manon Lescaut, La Bohème, Tosca, Madama Butterfly, La Fanciulla del West, La Rondine and Il Trittico. In 1926, a little room on the ground floor of the villa was converted into a chapel for the maestro's burial, dead two years before.