The history of the villa Mansi di Segromigno is widely documented, and it is possibile to reconstruct its principal construction phases. In 1599, the Cenami family bought a building that should have been constructed in the second half of the 16th
century from the Benedetti family. The present building is in essence, due to modifications carried out in the second quarter of the 17th
century. From 1634 to 1635 the activities of Muzio Oddi, an architect from Urbino, are documented. He worked on the construction of the walls of Lucca. Oddi's project was put into practice, but his letters to the Abbot Paolo Cenami, who was in Paris, show a precise intervention on the part of the latter in defining the project, be it concerning general ideas, be it in the management of details. Isa Belli Barsali therefore affirms that the authorship of the villa should be assigned to both of them. The architectural competence of the owners and their direct intervention in the projection of the villa, is a common characteristic amongst many Lucchese villas in the classical era.
In the 18th
century, when the villa was already under Mansi ownership, the downhill facing façade was modified. The loggia on the second floor was closed and the present attic took its place, keeping in line with the architectural motives of the portico. A balustrade with statues was added to the crowning part of the edifice. G. Masson and E. Lazzareschi attribute these modifications to Filippo Juvarra, who was responsible for the garden arrangements, while I. Belli Barsali assigns them to the Lucchese architect Giusti.
The construction of the attic facing uphill dates back to the 19th
The park surrounding the villa has undergone noteworthy modifications over the course of time. Between 1725 and 1732 Filippo Juvarra had given the park a complex layout following French taste. This arrangement was changed at the beginning of the 1800's when the garden was modified following romantic tastes for the natural park. During the second half of the 20th
century, further modifications were introduced with the addition of a parterre
and puttos in plaster cast.