The villa was built in 1566 out with the surrounding medieval walls , in a zone cultivated with fruit and vegetables. Salimbeni's frescos found inside the villa, were started in 1593, and so the construction of the building must have been completed in that period. The authorship of the building's architecture and garden is much debated. Belli Barsali sustains that three architects worked on the villa: a non-identified architect for the building, Buontalenti on the entrance door to the nymphaeum, and Vincenzo Civitali on the entrance doors to the garden. Venturi had noted Ammannati's influence in the realisation of the front entrance and in the window of the surrounding wall. M. A. Giusti has attributed these works to Ammannati himself based on a design showing an example of a divided tympanum similar to the one in the villa. In addition, Guisti reputes that the realisation of the villa in its completeness is to be attributed to a collaboration between Ammannati and Vincenzo Civitali.