Originally dating to the medieval period, but greatly modified over time, this church houses a valuable painting by Pietro da Talada, known as the Maestro of Borsigliana.
This church is documented since the 8th century, with the name Saints Maria and Pietro, when it was built as an oratory by a Lombard noble, and results as one of the subsidiaries of the Parish Church of Castello (Piazza al Serchio) within the diocese of Luni in the privilege of 1154 and "Decime" of 1298. However, it was greatly modified in subsequent periods. The façade probably was made reutilising the stones of the late medieval construction but incorporates a sandstone portal from 1784, the time when a fine set of silverware from Ottavio Nuti of Lucca is documented as having been bought. Inside, a rare gilt wooden ciborium with a central plan and two wooden altars are further evidence of the enrichments made between the 16th and 17th century, while the previous period left us, in the presbytery, a painting of saints Antonio da Padova and Pietro and saints Giovanni Evangelista and Domenico, and a marble Madonna and Child, by Pietro da Talada, known as the Maestro of Borsigliana. The group taken as a whole, from the second half of the 15th century, is one of the most interesting remains of Apennine reproposing of international Gothic modules.
The church only became part of the diocese of Lucca with the reordering of the diocesan confines in 1992, previously belonging not to the diocese of Luni but that of Massa, to which had been devolved, along with others of Este Garfagnana, in 1822. The Baptism Register starts in 1559. The Confraternity of SS. Sacramento is active in the community, and the area also includes the Oratory of the Holy Spirit in Casatico.