The "Ponte di Santa Lucia" (St. Lucy's Bridge) is one of the grandest medieval bridges in Garfagnana and is situated in the town of Castelnuovo. The latter is the most important town centre in the area. It is a sandstone road bridge dating back to the 14th century and consisting of two round arches equal in span. In accordance with oral tradition, in his "Descrizione Geografica, Storica, Economica della Garfagnana" (Geographic, historical and economic description of Garfagnana) Raffaello Raffaelli ascribed its construction to Castruccio Castracani, dating the bridge back to 1324.
Castelnuovo di Garfagnana
The bridge, restored in 1822, was blown up by the Germans in retreat during the last world war and was rebuilt after the war.
- Archivio Soprintendenza B.A.A.A.S. delle province di Pisa, Lucca, Massa Carrara, Livorno (schedatore: Gherardi A., 2001)
- RAFFAELLI R., Descrizione Geografica Storica Economica della Garfagnana, Lucca, 1879