Seat of the municipality until the Second World War, the original structure of the rocca of Castelnuovo Garfagnana
was heavily damaged during the 1944 bombings. At present the rocca houses Municipality Offices, the Historical Archive and the Archaeological Museum of the territory of Garfagnana with finds from the upper Serchio valley.
The Museum has two distinct exhibitions. The section related to the Mesolithic, opened in 1980, contains finds from archaeological excavations and surface explorations, dating as far back as the Stone Age. The section dedicated to the Apuan Ligurians, opened in 1984, illustrates the customs and way of life of the Ligurian settlers in IIIrd