The house on the hill of Caprona was built by the Cardosi-Carrara family in the middle of the XVIIIth century as country residence. Pascoli used to say jokingly that he had bought the villa thanks to Horace and Virgil because part of the money came from the sale of 5 gold medals he had won in the Latin poetry competition held in Amsterdam. In the peace of his study, fondly cared for and far from academic burdens, Pascoli cultivated his love for the Latin language and poetry. The three storey building has seven rooms and preserves the structure, furniture and arrangement that it had at the time of Pascoli's death.
In the study on the 1st floor are his books: Pascoli's library contains 12000 volumes and can be consulted upon request; the archive on the ground floor, instead, contains manuscripts and a collection of periodicals up to 1935. The poet's archive is one of the richest in Italy with 61000 manuscripts divided into three sections: Pascoli's letters, autographs of his works and the letters of his sister Mariù. On the second floor are the poet's study, a library and drawing room that opens on the so called "Altana", a terrace covered with bells from where you can enjoy the panorama so often praised by the poet in his works.