San Pietro
The church of San Pietro is all that remains of the homonymous Benedictine monastery founded along the via Francigena and attested for the first time in 761. Although the abbey was damaged several times during earthquakes and restored in modern times, it is still possible today to make out clearly the medieval structure of its church. The importance of the church of San Pietro was due, since the Middle Ages, to its strategic position along the Lucca-Luni road.

Place

Via Badia, 55041 Camaiore LU

Historical Information

The earliest remains of the church that can be seen today date back to the XIIth century when the apse end and the lower part of the façade were built. The lunette of the portal is original, while the jambs have been replaced. Between 1856 and 1859 the architect Giuseppe Pardini directed important restoration works that implied repairs to the wall face along the sides of the building, the opening of the monofore in the aisles and in the nave and the walling up of the 17th century windows. In 1902, after centuries of abandon, the bell tower and the tympanum of the church were entirely rebuilt and a bifora was inserted on the facade. At the end of the twentieth century a new door was opened on the southern side of the building to make the entry easier for worshippers. Inside the church you can see a tabernacle and a XVth century stoup.

Information

Address: Via Badia, 55041 Camaiore (LU)
Foundation: VIII century
District/Location: Camaiore
District: Versilia

See also...

Hospitality...