Near the town market situated in the so called 'classo Salaiolo', the church of San Cristoforo played an important political role in the Middle Ages as seat of the 'consoli delle Cause Lucchesi'. It was rebuilt during the XIIth
century upon an older construction; the new structure had three aisles
separated by pillars and a single apse
. The bell tower in the south-east corner of the church is probably XIIIth
century. The church was restored during the XIVth
century when the upper portion of the façade was built with its large rose window
. In the XVth
century the aisles were covered with vaults and in the Baroque period the altars were rebuilt together with a number of stucco decorations. The first restoration in the Contemporary period dates back to the years 1843-1844, the second was carried out in 1940: the latter has changed the church considerably turning it into a memorial chapel for Lucchese soldiers who died in war. On that occasion the plaster and fittings were taken away, the vaults destroyed and the names of the fallen soldiers carved in the walls of the aisles. The church of San Cristoforo in Lucca is mentioned for the first time in 1053.