San Lorenzo di Vinacciara
The parish church of San Lorenzo a Minucciano is situated in upper Aulella valley, in the middle of a number of villages and castles that were under its jurisdiction. In the Middle Ages around the church of San Lorenzo developed a village that became rather important.
The parish church was also called "dei Gragnanesi" since it seems to have been under the dominion of the lords of Gragnana, a very influential family in the area, that today belongs to the provinces of Lucca and Massa.


Minucciano, località Pieve S. lorenzo

Historical Information

The parish church of San Lorenzo a Minucciano as we see it today is a structure built in XIIth century upon the remains of an Early Medieval church. The church was constructed with a Latin cross plan, three aisles and a semicircular apse. In the course of the late Middle Ages it was surrounded by an enclosure; of this a gate remains near the south-east corner. The base of the bell tower was built in the fourteenth century and was raised between the XVIth and XVIIth century when the corners in the apse end, damaged by an earthquake, were also repaired; in the XVIIth century the main portal was replaced by a new one showing on the architrave the Bernardinian coat of arms and on the jambs rich floral decorations and vine branches. The construction visible on the southern side of the church was built in the same period. In 1927 a restoration of the building was carried out in the course of which some ashlars were replaced and the white marble bas-relief showing San Lorenzo with a gridiron was inserted in the lunette above the portal.
The first information we have about the parish church of San Lorenzo a Minucciano dates back to the XIIth century.


Address: Via san Lorenzo, Minucciano
Foundation: XII century
District/Location: Minucciano, locality Pieve S. lorenzo
District: Garfagnana

See also...