The small church of Santo Stefano in Pozzuolo was probably founded in the Longobard era but its current appearance is due to a medieval intervention later modified in the old age.
Lucca, località Pozzuolo, Via Per Vicopelago, 1027, 55100 Lucca LU
The small village of Pozzuolo, called "Putiolo" or "Postiolo" in some documents dating back to the Lombard period and attested for the first time in 970, was probably built in a place of ancient settlement, as shown by some Etruscan archaeological finds found in the area in the 1970s. The dedication to Santo Stefano of the church also suggests an ancient origin, since the consecration to the holy martyr was common in the early medieval churches. However, the church has been extensively remodeled in the modern era: in the 17th century, two lateral hats were added to the original single-nave layout, thus configuring a Greek pseudo-cross plan. On this occasion the church was also re-consecrated, with a ceremony that took place on August 3rd, 1660. Further changes took place also during the nineteenth century. Remains of the medieval phase of the church, perhaps dating back to the 12th century, can be identified in the masonry face of the façade and of the bell tower, with square blocks of white limestone.