The palazzo was built between 1910 and 1912 on land owned by the company "Francesco Bertolli", a family of entrepreneurs in the oil production field. It was situated between the Fenili property on the east side and the area of property owned by the state railway to the south, while the building looked onto the road on the north facing side.
In the building construction area surrounding palazzo Bertolli there was another palazzo belonging to the family as well as palazzo Lazzareschi Lazzeroni which hosts the police headquarters. The three buildings together constitute the most representative realisations in the area situated immediately outside Porta S. Pietro.
From the original designs of Giuseppe Puccinelli's project, you can see that it consisted of two floors above ground level. The ground level was used as a storeroom for company activities while the first floor was divided into two apartments, each with a staircase and vast terrace.
During the 1950's, an extension was added on to the west side of the palazzo using reinforced-concrete, notably contrasting with the more ancient part. After the town council of Lucca bought the property for scholastic purposes, the extension has housed the gymnasiums of the "Instituto Pertini" since the 1970's.
(source: Lorenza Caprotti - Centro Studi Cultura Liberty e Déco