Bernardini's Palace is located in the square of the same name in Lucca. The first part of the building, the central one, was built between 1517 and 1523 by Martino Bernardini, who belonged to an important family of Lucca merchants. Some attribute the facade of the building to Francesco Marti (sculptor, painter, goldsmith, architect of the time), while others claim that it was built by Nicolao Civitali. It is possible to notice that the mullioned windows on the first floor are similar to those of the Palazzo Pretorio. The coffered ceilings are rich in decorations and the rosta of the door consisting of two magnificent shutters with Moor's heads. In 1700 the two side wings of the building were built, in which it is possible to see a different use of stone and the proximity of the windows. The interior of the building was then embellished with decorations inspired by the sixteenth-century style.
Piazza Bernardini, Lucca
The Devil's stone
Who visit Lucca cannot fail to stop in front of Palazzo Bernardini. Legend has it that the devil convinced the Bernardine lords to build an imperial palace by destroying the image of the Madonna that was right there. The stone in the window to the right of the entrance arched and attempts to bring it back straight were unsuccessful. An iron structure was even used, but it too was totally useless. Even today, the stone jamb placed on the first window to the right of the door is strangely curved.