The Luigi Boccherini Higher Institute of Musical Studies was built in 1842 at the behest of the Duke Carlo Ludovico di Borbone. The direction was entrusted to Giovanni Pacini. In 1872, on Pacini's death, the Institute took his name and only in 1943, on the occasion of the centenary of the birth of Luigi Boccherini, was the latter name assigned to the School. Since 1843 Michele Puccini, the father of the great Lucca composer Giacomo, had carried out various functions and held various professorships there, even becoming Director starting from 1862. Giacomo Puccini, in 1868, began his studies within the Institute and in 1880 he obtained a diploma in composition. The Luigi Boccherini Musical Institute still preserves Giacomo Puccini's memories today, including the piano and the harmonium on which he took lessons and a collection of early compositions.
Currently the Institute is part of the higher artistic and musical education sector, together with the Conservatories, the Academies of Fine Arts, the National Academy of Dance, the National Academy of Dramatic Art and the Higher Institutes for the artistic industries. The Institute, in addition to issuing first and second level academic degrees, organizes its own season of concerts, series of seminars and conferences.
Istituto Superiore di Studi Musicali "Luigi Boccherini" - Lucca